Sunday, February 3, 2019

Why It's Important To Donate Blood

I wanted to share my story of when our daughter was born and how it went from the happiest moment of my life to the scariest moment of my life within seconds.

June 30th, 2014 my wife and I make the way to the hospital at 11:00 pm at night as our little one is on the way.  I was a nervous wreck and also the happiest I've ever been as my entire life all I ever wanted to be was a dad.

Fast forward to about 2 pm on July 1st, 2014 and the nurse said "Ok it's go time" I don't remember much about the next 2.5 hours but I remember the moment I first saw our daughter and after a very nerve wrecking ten seconds the first time I heard her little cry was the most amazing thing I had ever heard.


All of a sudden I go from the happiest moment of my life to the scariest moment of my life when one of the doctors yelled something which may have been "Code Red" I don't quite remember.  All of these doctors came running in the room and it was apparent my wife needed a blood transfusion to save her life.

As I sat there in the corner staring at my daughter in front of me scared to death I put my hand down by my daughter and this happened.

Simply the greatest feeling of comfort I have ever had in my life right here in one photo.  Unless you're a parent and have had this happen to you it is very hard to put in to words.  At this point I glanced over at my wife who was out cold and started to have a mild panic attack.

One of the nurses came and took Chloe from me and had moved a chair over in the corner away from what was happening and said "How would you like to feed your daughter for the first time"





There I sat just staring at this little life in my arms as tears flowed down my cheeks trying not to look at what was happening behind me but at the same time my heart was so warm from what was going on in front of me.

Then I started to think about what if she didn't make it, what would I do and how the hell I would do this on my own but thankfully that didn't happen.

My wife has one of the rarest blood types in North America and thankfully after a blood transfusion I was told she was going to be ok. 

Our daughter was born at 415 pm but my wife didn't get to meet her until 830 at night as she slept after her surgery and obviously from being away for 48 hours.  She got to hold her briefly and went back to sleep.


My point in posting this is to say THANK YOU to the Calgarian with AB Negative blood that donated.  If it had not have been for you I would be doing this by myself as a single dad.  I am very thankful for whoever you are and I encourage everyone to get out there and donate blood as you never know who's life you might be saving.



No comments:

Post a Comment